We’re on to the third and final dish that I want to learn during this challenge: Baked Fish. I did some Googling and found a simple recipe for Miso Glazed Salmon on Simply Recipes. It was easy and delicious and at a cost per serving of $3.76 I’ll be making it again!
I found a great recipe over at Simply Recipes that I’m going to use again next time.
- 2 tablespoons of red/white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons of sake
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- (2) 8-ounce / 225-gram skinless salmon fillets
- Mix the miso paste, sake, soy sauce, and sugar in a bowl.
- In a separate container or freezer bag, coat the salmon with the sauce and cover. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes, and up to overnight.
- Line a broiling pan with aluminum foil and lay the salmon on top. Make sure there is an even, thin coating of marinade on top of the fish.
- Place the pan about 6 inches from the broiler element in your oven.
- Broil for 7-9 minutes, depending on how thick the fillets are and how hot your broiler is. Keep an eye on the salmon. The marinade has sugar in it that can easily cause the glaze to burn. If it starts charring and the cooking isn’t yet finished, place the fish on a lower rack in the oven.
- Remove after 7 minutes to check the temperature. When the salmon reaches 145°F (63°C) at the thickest part, it is ready. If it’s not there yet, put it back in the oven for 2 more minutes, then check again.
- Serve with rice and vegetables.
Notes for next time
- I used salmon with the skin still on, and it got pretty charred. I realized afterwards that the recipe called for skinless salmon. Oops.
- Other than that, the fish was cooked well on the inside. I cooked it for 7 minutes.
- Next time I’ll try marinating it overnight (this time I only did 30 minutes).
OTHER POSTS IN THE 100-DAY CHALLENGE SERIES
Day 1: Intro to Me & My Goal
Day 4: “Why Learn?” and My Cooking Background
Day 7: What Should I Learn to Cook FIRST?
Day 10: Pasta + Meat Sauce (Tomato Bolognese)
Day 21: Pasta + Meat Sauce (less Tomato)
Day 28: Pasta + Meat Sauce (Beef Stroganoff)
Day 35: Oven Roasted Chicken Thighs
Day 42: Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs
Day 49: Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs (coated with flour)
Day 56: Pan Roasted Chicken Breasts
Day 63: Miso Glazed Baked Salmon
Day 70: Miso Glazed Baked Salmon II
Day 77: Miso Glazed Baked Salmon III
Day 84: Final Exam
Day 95: What’s Next?
Day 100: Final Thoughts